In my second post about Meat Free May (see first post), I’m going to run through my kitchen cupboard essentials. I never go without a single one of these items in my kitchen – they’re all incredibly versatile and handy things to have, especially when you’re looking to add flavour and stay healthy while giving up meat for a whole month!
I’ve made a very quick video about my essential ingredients – it wasn’t so quick to make but I thought I’d give it a go anyway! So, without further ado – here are my kitchen cupboard essentials for Meat Free May (and the rest of the time!)
- Coconut Oil: We started cooking with coconut oil instead of sunflower oil about six months ago. At first I thought it was expensive for what it was but this little jar was only about £3 from Aldi and it lasts ages! It’s low in fat and 100% natural so there’s no reason to use liquid oil again.
- Spices: I always try to maintain a full spices cupboard. You can add flavour to any meal with the right combination of spices. My favourites are cumin, coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and paprika – basically everything you’ll need to make a good curry!
- Tamari sauce – Tamari is just gluten free soy sauce and is available in most supermarkets in the ‘Free From’ aisle. I put this stuff on just about everything – particularly rice and noodle dishes. It’s a great way of turning a big pan of mismatched vegetables into a pretty good stir fry in seconds.
- Sriracha – Holy hell, this is the greatest condiment in the world. Made with just chilli peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt, it adds a kick to just about any meal with minimal effort. I like to add it to stir fry and salad dressing – I have it on just about everything.
- Garlic paste and fresh ginger – I prefer these two to their dried counterparts. Garlic paste is really easy to use and much less messy then using the fresh stuff. Ginger is great for aiding digestion and I am a big fan of it in both sweet and savoury cooking.
Let me know in the comments what your essential ingredients are if you think I’m missing something special in my kitchen cupboard!